Salad of prosscuitto-wrapped peaches with figs & buffalo mozzarella
What you need:It is always good to have a recipe up your sleeve that can be put together in a matter of minutes. This salad is extremely quick to prepare. However it is definitely a summer dish, to be made when juicy peaches are at their sweet and succulent best. When peaches are not in season, try combining pears with crispy proscuitto and crumbled Rocquefort cheese. An aged Balsamic vinegar and a fruity olive oil complement the stronger flavours of this salad perfectly.
– 50g / 2oz pecan halves (½ cup)
– 30ml / 2 Tbsp light olive oil
– Salt, pepper, brown sugar & chilli powder
– 2 large, perfectly ripe yellow peaches
– 12 slices of prosciutto
– 4 ripe figs
– 2 balls of buffalo mozzarella (250g / 9oz)
– A handful of washed wild rocket *
– 120ml / 8 Tbsp walnut oil
– 60ml / 4 Tbsp raspberry vinegar
– Freshly ground black pepper
– Freshly milled sea salt
What you do:
- To prepare the spiced pecans, place them on a baking tray, drizzle the oil over them and sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar and chilli powder. Shake the tray to distribute the seasoning evenly. Bake at 170ºC / 325ºF for 12 – 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Cut each peach into 6 segments. I leave the skin on, but you can peel them for those who don’t like the ‘furry-ness’ of peach skin.
- Wrap one piece of prosciutto around each segment of peach.
- Cut each fig into 3 segments.
- Tear each mozzarella ball into 6 pieces.
- Arrange 3 pieces each of peach, fig and mozzarella alternately around each plate in a circle.
- Place a little bundle of rocket leaves in the centre.
- Sprinkle on a few spiced pecans.
- Spoon a little walnut oil and then the raspberry vinegar over the salad.
- Finish with a twist of black pepper and a twist of salt. Serve immediately.
Enjoy the picnic! If you’re craving more royal recipes, there are 100 more delicious dishes created by Robb, in her new cookbook: The Royal Touch: Simply Stunning Home Cooking From A Royal Chef. And if you’d like your very own copy, ACC Art Books is offering Urban Suburban Mommy’s readers a 35% discount, just use promo code: ROYAL to save on your order!
Carolyn Robb was Personal Chef to TRH Prince and Princess of Wales, Prince William and Prince Harry for ten years.