Kale & Brussels Sprout Salad
Get ready to kale to the chief…
Your Weekly GO-TO Salad that is HEALTHY and will last the WHOLE WEEK LONG!
The sun is shining, the air is warming, your feeling refreshed and ready to go!
Spring does that to people, it’s a fresh start, hence all the spring cleaning.
Why not Spring Clean YOU and your MENU!!
Today we are going to look at Kale- a cruciferous vegetable.. it should be on every family’s shopping list. You’ve heard the hype, but have you tried it?
Here’s WHY you Should:
- IT’S LOADED WITH NUTRIENTS:
- mainly Vitamins A, K, and C, but there is so much more.
- IT DETOXIFIES
- PREVENTS CANCER
- HEALTHY VISION
- SUPPORTS HEART HEALTH
Here’s HOW to Buy it:
ALWAYS BUY ORGANIC! – Kale is one of the most heavily pesticide sprayed crops around. No point turning to Kale for it’s health benefits and add more toxins to your body!
There are 4 Types of Kale
1. Curly kale (Most Common) – found in most supermarkets. It has a pungent, almost peppery flavor that is very pleasant but if you prefer less bitterness, look for younger kale as leaves have a milder taste. Or pair with lemon juice (it helps with the bitterness)
2. Lacinto kale – also popular, a.k.a. Dinosaur kale. Its leaves are narrow, dark green and wrinkly.
3. Redbor kale – Rich in it’s red/purple color, this kale is very pretty looking kale. As well as cooking, Redbor kale can also be used to accent gardens.
4. Russian (Siberian) kale – less common but just as nutrient dense it has flat, fringed leaves that look like large rocket/arugula leaves and vary in color from Green to red/purple. It has a more mild taste with some sweetness to it.
KALE is the new BLACK, it goes with Everything and is never out of style!!
Ok, now you know why you should eat it… try this recipe and make it part of your weekly meal plan. So delicious!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Kale: One Bunch (your choice of type)
- 9-12 Brussels sprouts (another cruciferous vegetable)
- 2 Chicken Breasts cooked and diced
- 1 apple diced (skin on)
- 1/2 Cup dried cranberries (can sub with pomegranate)
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds toasted (can sub with pecans)
- 1/4 of Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 1/2 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/c Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
WHAT YOU DO:
- De-stem Kale, tear into bite size pieces, wash and spin dry.
- Cut the bottoms off of the Brussels Sprouts and Chop or slice thinly.
- Place Kale in the bottom of a bowl, next layer on Brussels Sprouts, Chicken, Apple, Cranberries, Almonds, and Parmesan.
- Mix all dressing ingredients and set aside in a resealable container.
- Place desired amount of salad in a bowl, drizzle with dressing and enjoy.
- Place leftover salad and dressing in fridge, it’s ready when you are!
I LOVE KALE – there I said it! My favurite is in the form of a salad… WHAT’s YOURS??? comment below.