Grilled chicken, apple and spinach salad
Any meals that fall into those 3 categories has a permanent place on anyone’s meal plan. This salad has the added bonus of being healthy too!
Great tip: Make your food work for you. Ever notice that chicken added to a salad tends to be a little “too much?” Spread your chicken a little further when using it for sandwiches and salads by splitting the chicken breast into two. I love my handy-dandy tool because it has multiple purposes, as you can see from the video, but splitting chicken breasts is one of my favourites!
Get your grill out, cause here we go!
What you need:
- 2 medium apples (your preference – I like Granny Smith (tart), Gala work well, too)
- 1 pkg (5 cups) fresh baby spinach (washed and dried)
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Cup Sugar Snap Peas – cut in half.
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (can substitute pork)
- Smokey applewood rub (optional)
- 2 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil (avocado or olive)
- 1 tbsp syrup
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
What you do:
- Combine dressing ingredients, mix, and set aside.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Slice chicken horizontally (split the chicken breast – bonus tip above).
- Season chicken with applewood rub (approximately 1 tbsp).
- Place chicken on hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside.
- Cut apples into wedges
- Place on grill for 6 minutes, then turn and repeat. Or do both chicken and apple at the same time if you have a double burner grill pan.
- Set aside.
- Place spinach in a large bowl. Grate carrots into salad (using a Julienne peeler, cheese grater, or spiralizer).
- Slice chicken into strips and add to bowl.
- Add cranberries, peas, apples.
- Drizzle salad with dressing, and serve!
Have a great week!